Customers of Big Roast can also hire our equipment to do their own hog roasts. Although we don’t recommend this for the inexperienced, there are a lot of people who have the necessary skills. For more information on hiring a spit roasting machine please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Buying your hog
- Order your pig from a specialty butcher. It is often necessary to give them 7 days advance notice. Before purchasing make sure the pig is absolutely clean. You can purchase your hog directly from Big Roast’s sister company – www.englishmeat.co.uk.
- Dressed pigs are 70% of the live weight.
- Smaller animals will have a greater percentage of bone and skin and will yield proportionately fewer servings of meat.
- The carcass should be opened butterfly-fashion.
- A 75 lb hog should equate to 30 lb of cooked pork for serving
- A 100 lb hog should equate to 40 lb of cooked pork for serving.
- A 125 lb hog should equate to 50 lbs of cooked pork for serving.
- A good estimate for a serving is 1 ½ lb of meat per person.
Spit Roast Cooking instructions
- Cook the pig 12″ away from the source of heat – most spit roasting machines are set to around this distance.
- Keep the heat constant using all the burners available on the spit roasting machine
- Fluctuating heat will add to your hog roast cooking time.
- For a 110 pound live weight the estimated cooking time is 8-10 hours.
- When pig reaches 160 degrees farenheight move the pig away from the heat. Use a meat thermometer to check on the heat on a regular basis.
- An estimated 1-2 hours will keep the pig warm without drying out.
- Timings cannot be certain! You must be flexible in the timing and cooking process, and checking the hog often is essential.
- When using a spit roasting machine make sure that the weight is evenly distributed.
Please call us if you have any questions. If you wish us to assist you while you cook and serve a hog roast for your party we can arrange for one of our roasters to observe and assist.
Please note that these are basic instructions and if you are interested in going ahead with this we will provide you with significantly more detailed instructions. Big Roast is not liable for any misuse of these instructions.