“Remember, remember the 5th of November
The gunpowder, treason and plot
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot”
Ready the fireworks and bonfire supplies, as it’s that time of year again: time to celebrate a great British tradition dating back to the Gunpowder Plot of 1605.
So the legend goes that Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives that had been planted underneath the House of Lords in an attempt to end King James I’s life. However, and to the relief of many, he survived and to celebrate his luck, bonfires were lit all around London and the Observance of 5th November Act was imposed as an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot’s failure.
Today, Guy Fawkes Night is customarily celebrated with large community events, fairground rides, various entertainments, extravagant firework shows and bonfires.
If you’re hosting an event for friends and family, or even the whole neighbourhood, you’ll have to cater to the hungry tummies before the big show. What better way to do this than by having a delicious hog roast that can feed a small family or a large gathering? Partygoers will appreciate the glimmering lightshow all the more when their bellies are full.
However you decide to celebrate the evening, we don’t want you to miss out on any of the action. Here is a list of the main firework display and bonfire night locations around London:
- 5 Nov – Brockwell Park (entertainers, food stalls and bars and Lambeth’s fireworks display)
- 5 Nov – Southwark Park (bonfire and fireworks)
- 5 Nov – Crystal Palace Park (firework display)
- 5 Nov – Heston Venue (firework display to music)
- 7 Nov – Bishop’s Park (firework display)
- 8 Nov – Ravenscourt Park (firework display)
- 8 Nov – Battersea Park (entertainment and fireworks)
- 8 Nov – Hackney Firework Pyromusical
- 8 Nov – Central London (Lord Mayor’s Show and Fireworks)
- 8 Nov – Ealing Cricket Club Fireworks
- 8 Nov – Byron Recreation Ground ( Harrow fireworks display)
These are just a handful of the spectacular Guy Fawkes Night events to be held around London to commemorate the occasion. There are many more sparkling firework displays in the city to feast your eyes on.